Monday, November 30, 2009

Rockets!


Last night I was reading a spy novel set in 1958, around the time of the sputnik era, and there was a description of the Jupiter rocket that would launch the US's first satellite, and it mentioned that there were the letters "UE" on the side...

I have a painting that I did when I was 8, and it was exactly that rocket.

I happened to be looking at the painting, recently, and wondering why I put those letters, rather than "US" or something. I found the image that I painted it from (must've been in LIFE or Nat. Geo., originally), online. Apparently I was a very diligent copier.

Just now, looking at the original photo and the painting, together, I remembered being 8 years old, with brushes and gouache, in my room with the grey linoleum tile, in the house on Iliaina street, listening to "The Hurdy Gurdy Man".

1 comment:

  1. Great piece of personal research. Also, a heck of a good copy for eight years old. I remember the gray linoleum.

    ReplyDelete